Monday, March 14, 2016

Anita Brookner (born 16 July 1928 - died 10 March 2016)

Brookner published her first novel, A Start In Life, in 1981 at the age of 53. Since then she has published approximately a novel every year. Her fourth book, Hotel du Lac, published in 1984, won the Booker Prize.

- Understanding Anita Brookner

- A singular woman - Telegraph
Anita Brookner: 'I chose the wrong people, and the wrong people chose me.
So marriage never came about.
At the time that was a cause of great sadness, certainly'

Who are your favourite authors?
'Dickens, first and foremost.
My father gave me every volume of Dickens, one for Christmas, one for my birthday, until I'd read the lot.
I think young people love Dickens.
The funny names, to begin with, and the sense of right and wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment