Sunday, September 9, 2018

Bournemouth’s Fisherman's Walk Cliff Lift.

Bournemouth’s Fisherman's Walk Cliff Lift.
Lift was built in 1935.
It links the beach to a cliff top café.
Get a great view of the coast.












Friday, August 31, 2018

In my garden.








Tyneham: Dorset's lost D-Day village - Dorset's ghost village.

Exploring deserted Tyneham at dusk when all the visitors have left and with the sun dipping over Worbarrow Bay, is when the musical's anthem seems most poignant
- 'Can you hear the whispers in the walls?'.
In 1943 the population of simple farmers and fishermen were given 30 days to leave their homes to allow for the Ministry of Defence’s preparations for D-Day, little knowing that they would never return.

By Christmas 1943 all 225 inhabitants had abandoned the village and Tyneham has remained a ghost town ever since, with only the shells of some of its former buildings left to tell the tale.





Please treat the church and houses with care; we have given up our homes where many of us lived for generations to help win the war to keep men free. We shall return one day and thank you for treating the village kindly. / the last person leaving a notice on the church door in 1943!/









1580s Tyneham House built
1932 - Tyneham village school closes due to lack of numbers
1943 - Tyneham, East Holme, East Lulworth, East Stoke and Steeple fall under War Office requisition order
1968 Tyneham Action Group campaign for village to be given to National Trust
1974 - MoD rejects a hand back of the land but allows greater access to walking routes and makes remaining buildings safe
1979 - First church service held at Tyneham for 36 years


Tyneham is a ghost village but In 2008, Tyneham Farm was reopened to the public and conservation work there is ongoing.

A walk out of the village leads to the ruins of Tyneham Farm and the old farmlands where sheep still graze.















Returning home after two years as a prisoner of war in Germany, Lieutenant Mark Bond alighted at his usual railway station in the early hours to find it closed and the telephone disconnected.
He slept on a waiting room table until his father arrived to collect him soon after daylight.
As they drove, Bond turned to his father and said: “Hey, you’re going the wrong way.” “No,” his father replied, “we live in a different house now.”
While he was away, the house and land (3,003 acre site) owned by the Bond family for 300 years, a beautiful area forming part of the tranquil Tyneham valley in Dorset, had been requisitioned for a tank firing range.


Major-General Mark Bond Of Tyneham and Moigne Combe (1922-2017)

Moigne Combe

Moigne Combe.
Ralph & Evelyn Bond moved to Moigne Combe.
Following his retirement from the Army in 1972, their son, Major-General Mark Bond took over the running of the Estate and pursued an active public life.
He lived there happily, surrounded by the Moigne Combe Woods and the tranquillity he loved, until his death in 2017.

A country estate Moigne Combe owned by the same Bond family who inspired Ian Fleming's 007 character has gone on the market for £3.5m.
John Bond was an Elizabethan spy who adopted the Latin phrase 'non sufficit orbis' (the world is not enough) as his family's motto.
John Bond spied for Queen Elizabeth I in the late 1500s, assisting Sir Francis Drake on many escapades, including the 1586 raid on the Azores, which Spain had just bought from Portugal.
During the raid on the Spanish governor's palace, Drake saw a stone globe with the Latin phrase non sufficit orbis, which was King Philip II of Spain's motto.
It is thought Fleming learned of his exciting tales of 16th century espionage while the author went to prep school in Dorset in 1914.
Fleming is known to have found the name James Bond on a book of birds when he was in Jamaica, but he knew the Dorset Bonds from his days at Durnford School, an austere prep school in Langton Matravers.
He was sent there when he was aged seven.
But the headmaster's wife read the boys adventure stories in the evenings which he said was the only bit he liked about the school and it put the seed in his head for his later James Bond books.
He introduced the spy's 'the world is not enough' motto in the book On Her Majesty's Secret Service and it became the title of the 21st Bond film in 1999.
The motto can still be seen on another of the Bond family's homes, Creech Grange at East Holme - Creech Grange was sold to Nathaniel Bond in 1691.
Fleming also used another old Dorset family name, Drax, for his villain Sir Hugo Drax, who he named after his acquaintance Admiral Reginald Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax.

Worbarrow Bay
This beautiful bay is just a 20 minute walk from the village of Tyneham.
It is a hidden gem on the Jurrasic coast of Dorset.
The waters are brilliant blue and the beach, although pebbles is clean and tidy.
The views along the coast are splendid.
It is well worth the walk of about one mile from the village of Tyneham which is also worth visiting.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Witchampton.

The village of Witchampton and civil parish lies 5 miles north of Wimborne Minster and is situated within the Cranborne Chase Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). The village was designated etc first National Conservation Area in Dorset. Witchampton lies on the east bank of the River Allen in the Vale of Allen.
According to Sir Frederick Treves in Highways and Byways in Dorset, published in 1906:
‘Witchampton is one of the most beautiful villages in the entire county. Placed in a wooded dip by the Allen River, it is like a garden in a dell. Many of its thatch-roofed cottages are almost hidden by roses, while there is hardly a wall of faded brick that is not covered by jasmine or honeysuckle. The village is everywhere ablaze with flowers."

The Church of St Mary, St Cuthburga and All Saints.
St Cuthburga was a Saxon Princess, dressed as an abbess holding a crosier in one hand and a model of Wimborne Minster, of which she is founder, in the other. Her statue stands over the beautiful Arts and Crafts style lychgate. St Cuthburga was the first abbess of Wimborne.
Lychgate - a roofed gateway to a churchyard, formerly used at burials for sheltering a coffin until the clergyman's arrival.
The main Church dates back to 1832 rebuilt after a fire, only the Tower is Saxon.


In the churchyard there is a circular mounting block, in the centre of which can be seen where the pillar topped by an Angel once stood.
This pillar is now on top of the war memorial by the side of the church.


The memorial which is located in front of the the church is dedicated to the fallen soldiers from the Parish who served during WWI and WWII.











"There are the ancient manor house with its crown of gables, the little stream with its mill and its venerable stone bridge, and the water meadow with its ivy clad ruin of the Abbey Barn."






Gateway and lodge to Crichel House.
The gateway was built in 1874 and is Grade II listed.
The property was Alington-family ownership for 300 years, until Mary Marten, goddaughter of the late Queen Mother and childhood friend of Princess Margaret, who died at age 80 in 2010.
Crichel belonged to the Napier and Sturt families for 400 years, but, after the death in 2010 of the late Mary Anna Marten, only daughter of the 3rd and last Lord Alington, the property was sold as she left six children and beneficiaries.
The well-managed estate, which comprised 10,000 acres and 150 houses and cottages, was broken up and dispersed in 2012.
Fortunately, the main house, with some of its contents, and 1,500 acres including the park and 50 cottages, have been acquired by an anglophile American family, the Chiltons (Mr Chilton was a trustee of the Metropolitan Museum and Mrs Chilton president of the New York Botanical Garden), who have made it their English home and refurbished the interior, restoring several James Wyatt rooms, which can now be seen as the masterpieces they are.

Much of the rest of the estate has been bought by Lord Phillimore, son of the neo-Georgian architect Claud Phillimore, so cultural disaster has been averted and this beautiful part of Dorset continues to be cherished and managed on traditional lines by sympathetic new owners.
Read more with photo: The magnificent puzzle of Crichel, one of Dorset’s grandest Georgian houses - Country Life



Witchampton Old Post Office.

Until the middle of the 20th century the village was pre-dominantly belonged to the Crichel Estate which was most recently held by the Marten family, prior to that the estate was held by the Matraver family, the Earls of Arundel, the Cole family, and the Napier family before it came into the Sturt family. In 1765 the Humphrey Sturt re-modelled the house and extended the park by including the voyage of Moor Crichel and re-locating the villagers to Newtown half a mile out of Witchampton.

Read more with photo:
- The Dorset Walk: Woodlands, Horton Tower and Chalbury | Dorset Life - The Dorset Magazine

- Chinese ornaments sell for £12.5m - more than double the value of the stately home they were found in | Daily Mail Online

- The magnificent puzzle of Crichel, one of Dorset’s grandest Georgian houses - Country Life